(Adopted on the 8th day of July, 2017)
Nature of the Society
The Barbados Branch is an autonomous Branch of The Royal Commonwealth Society registered under the Charity Act, Cap. 243 of the Laws of Barbados.
Area of of the Branch
The area of the Branch is the Island of Barbados.
Objects of the Society
The Barbados Branch affirms the objects of The Royal Commonwealth Society as approved by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in 1958, namely:
- to promote the increase and diffusion of knowledge respecting the people and countries of the Commonwealth;
- to maintain the best traditions values of the Commonwealth;and
- to foster unity in a diversity of thought and action in relation to matters of common interest.
In this Constitution and any by-laws that may be passed from time to time, unless the context otherwise requires:
- “Branch” means the autonomous Barbados Branch of the Royal Commonwealth Society;
- “Council” shall be the term used to designate the governing body of the Barbados Branch;
- “Councilor” means a member of the governing body of the Barbados Branch and shall include the elected officers and the elected Councilors;
- “Past Chairperson” means that member, other than the incumbent Chairperson, who last held the office of Chairperson of the Branch;
- “Society” means The Royal Commonwealth Society, London, England, United Kingdom.
- The masculine gender includes the feminine gender and the singular includes the plural and the plural includes the singular.
Access to the Constitution and By-laws
Every person on becoming a member of the Branch shall be provided with a copy of the constitution and any By-laws that may be adopted from time to time.
- The Declaration of Trust dated the 19 th day of December, 2011 appointed the original trustees and provides for the appointment of new trustees provided that the new trustees shall not be less than three or more than ten.
- The Declaration of Trust sets out the term of office, the powers and duties of the Trustees.
The Patron of the Branch is determined by the Trustees pursuant to the Declaration of Trust. The Governor General of Barbados is the Patron of the Branch.